Sunday, March 25, 2007

thinking bloggers

Toilet paper. That’s what I was going to blog about today. Or I should say “the absence of”, after reading a story in the New York Times about an environmentally savvy couple in Manhattan who decided our planet didn’t need it (TP, that is) … and neither did they.

They’ve been living without toilet paper—with no apparent substitute—for a whole year. The NY Times said, “Think lots of water and fresh-air drying.” I say, only if you must …

But I digress. Because the theme of this weekend’s post changed after I received this:

Congratulations, you’ve won a




Wow! Now, I don’t usually respond to memes. But since Kiyotoe (thank you, oh great dragon!) took the time to pin me with a Thinking Blogger Award, I thought I should show my appreciation and rise to the occasion by selecting my five award winners.

There are many talented bloggers out there—some who really make me laugh/and I love to laugh—but this is about those who most often make me think. So if your name is mentioned below, you too have won a Thinking Blogger Award. (Check out the rules at the end of this post if you choose to participate!)

  1. The Dragon: 050376—yes, I know he tagged me and already has an award, but since I’ve often pondered something he’s written, long after reading, I would be remiss in not mentioning him. He’s not afraid to be controversial, and his well-thought out philosophies have often fired cerebral synapses, or made me stop and about-turn on an issue. So, Kiyotoe, does that make you a double-award winner?
  2. She’s a brilliantly talented artist and more, and in Colouring Outside the Lines, Andrea often discusses her art form, the art world, and creativity-at-large. In addition, she has terrific research skills, and includes the neatest links to some really obscure sites and unusual viewpoints.
  3. Don’t go here if you’re sensitive to the youthful blush of language or sexual innuendo since it sometimes gets a little ‘fresh’, as my grandmother would say. Ant's nothing if not open and honest, and he likes to push the envelope. His tongue-in-cheek Antedisestablishmentarianism Brit wit often makes me laugh, as well as think, and his writings remind me of my 20-something nephews ... I feel I’m getting a little insight into the things they do not want Aunty Bibi to know about!
  4. She often blogs about writing, and as a teacher and musician, Becca works a lot of relevant life experience, and practical, yet thought provoking philosophies into Becca’s Byline.
  5. Sometimes she writes about simple, everyday life, but there are times when Deidre at Writing Anam Cara writes so poignantly about the painful journey following her sister’s death, that it makes you stop to appreciate—right now—the wonderful people we are lucky enough to have in our lives.

And there you have it. Five bloggers who make me think.


PS. As with anything and everything on the Internet, check details for yourself before deciding to participate! Bibi.
The Thinking Blogger Award Rules

If you were named above and choose to carry this meme forward, remember to tag only those bloggers who stimulate your cortex … or something like that.

Please make sure you pass the rules to the blogs you are tagging.

  1. If, and only if, you have been tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.

  2. Optional: Proudly display your 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn't fit your blog).

25 comments:

andrea said...

D'oh! That's me! :) I wasn't expecting it, and so thank you, Vicki! I do like to think of myself as a thinking blogger, but I can't/don't write about dozens of things I'd like to discuss because they tend to link to private things that I just can't put out there as a non-anonymous blogger. But, on good days, I like to think that 'I play better tennis because there's a court there.'

As for you -- congratulations! I would've chosen you, too, and 'I'm not just saying that.' The fact that you only post about once a week means it's always good, always eagerly anticipated by your fans -- and that you have some balance in your life!
:)

As for me, after a couple of weeks of regular posting I'd run out of gas. Now I have something to blog about.

Repeater said...

Glad that Kiyotoe reminded me to visit your blog. That toilet paper thing. ug. I don't know.

Ant said...

I totally need to meet your nephews - something tells me we'd get on like a house on fire... :o)

Thank you very much Bibi! I am truly honoured, and this has actually given me a nice shot in the arm after all the confidence-sapping dilemma stuff...

Bibi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bibi said...

Andrea, You're welcome and very deserving of the award. Professionally, I write under 4 different names (ncluding my real name)depending on the market. So I do understand your reluctance to write about 'all things personal' since I don't share that either. It always makes makes me smile when friends I haven't seen in a while say 'no worries, we've been keeping up with your life via the blog' ... oh, really? LOL.

Repeater, gross isn't it. It's one thing when you're camping, but at home??? Thanks for stopping by ;-)

Ant, glad it gave you a lift and I hope the dilemma stuff gets sorted for you. I think you'd like my guys (nephews). They have such great energy and there's never a dull moment around them ;-)

Cazzie!!! said...

Hmmm, no loo paper hey, that's an awful thought. Even when I was out on bivouac with Air CAdets we used paper, tissue or wipes..now that's getting graphic hey, LOL.
Thinking Blog hey, I reckon I think too much about mine :)

Becca said...

Vicki, thank you for the nod! I am honored, particularly because I greatly admire your ideas and the way you convey them to your readers. I will be visiting the other "thinking bloggers" you recognized as well. I'm always in the mood for an extra helping of food for thought!

Thanks again :)

dinahmow said...

Well, here's a genuinely deserving recipient (as opposed to some grammatically-challenged "journalists.")
I'm a regular reader, though I don't always comment, and this is one site whose ideas often percolate long after I've closed my blog.
Congrats and keep it coming!

Pamela said...

You made me THINK about a guy my dad talked about that he knew... supposedly.

He was much to stingy to buy toilet paper... so he had a rock. actually my dad called it a "grease rock"....

so the toilet paper story took me back in time.

I'd certainly be careful about picking up smooth rocks around that house.

Kiyotoe said...

i guess that does make me a double award winner! And to receive the nod from you makes it that much sweeter.

Thank you and thanks for playing along. I don't usually play the meme game either but depending on who tags me, I will oblige.

So I was delighted to see that you humored me :)

Ian Lidster said...

Vicki, I found my way here via Andrea's blog, and I'm glad I did. Good stuff, I say as one media toiler to another. Congratulations on your award. I just got one of them, too. Come and pay a call.

Ian

Anonymous said...

I love what you do whether it's serious or frivolous. I don't comment a lot but I do read ever week and am glad to see you got the TBA!

Deirdre said...

Vicki, this is such an amazing gift. It's a compliment to be recognized this way by someone whose writing I admire so much. Now I'll have to whittle my list down to just five bloggers - oh, it's going to be tough.

Anonymous said...

beeb! congrats, nudge nudge. always knew my gal was brill. :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Much appreciated.
Not using toilet paper is not uncommon in Islamic (Middle East)and Asian countries. They use water and only use the paper to dry themselves off. Even the design of the toilet bowl is different and some of them has a "built-in" water spout.
But as you say, only when you have to.

Ces Adorio said...

I would substitute leaves for toilet paper, will that work?

Bibi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bibi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bibi said...

Cazzie: at least they gave you something! I can't imagine choosing the 'no-sub' option. ;-)

Becca: thank YOU, and have fun with it!


Dina: thank you ... appreciate the feedback and hope I don't crack under the pressure, LOL.

Pamela: YUK. I'll refrain from commenting on shiny and smooth (as in pumice stone). So that's all I can say. YUK. Thanks for sharing though!

Kiyotoe: I appreciated the nod too. Congrats to you too and thank you!

Ian: Congrats also!! Will stop by soon.

Lisa: Comments or not, you're always welcome and I appreciate you stopping by.

Bibi said...

Diedre: It isn't easy to pick amongst so many interesting bloggers, that's for sure. Congrats!

Ces: That's what I thought the Manhattan couple had opted to use ... but apparently not! ;-)

Mikeym: Such flattery ... brill as in Brillo pad?? LOL.

Chitty: Yeah, we tend to think our way is the only way. I'm all too familiar with the thrill of the bidet from my time in Europe.

Rebecca said...

Link to the original post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme. http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/02/thinking-blogger-awards_11.html.

The whole point of the meme is to direct everyone back to the website of a girl who lives in Turkey, and who started the meme. It's invading the Internet like a virus, and people keep perpetuating it. If you actually visit the website, I think you will find your computer will crash and you'll have to reboot.

Bibi said...

Hi Rebecca, I'm always concerned about spyware etc, and checked all links before publishing on all three of my VPS and had zero issues on any of my security scans.

However, it's always better to err on the side of caution and I appreciate your feedback.

Keshi said...

congratts Bibi!

abt the couple w.o. toilet paper...I guess it's much more hygenic to wash isnt it :)

Keshi.

John Ivey said...

Congratulations Bibi. Yours is the only blog I visit regularly without fail. It looks like I may do well to add a few others per your pointing them out. We will see. But as for your award, it is definitely deserved. Keep up the good work. You are my heroine of the blogosphere!

Bibi said...

Keshi, yes, more hygenic ... but, without going into detail, they apparently don't use cloth etc ... enough said on that! At the end of the day, each to his own. LOL

John, thank you, thank you!! It's all good fun and I do appreciate you reading and your feedback. ;-)